Module 2, Positioning

How can a hotel position itself?

Positioning helps to create an image in the mind of the consumer.

Almost every element of the Marketing Mix can be used to position a business……advertising is a common way. Here is an example of Marriott uses to create an image. So what words come to your mind after viewing the ad? How is this hotel different?

About Ian W. McVitty

Teacher, Academic Advisor and Learner.

Discussion

8 thoughts on “How can a hotel position itself?

1. The words that come in my mind after viewing the ad ARE: style, refinement, elegance and perfection. First of all Marriott is different from the other hotels through the image (his image) provided via TV Commercial: style, refinement, elegance and…..perfection.

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Clementina Ancu | September 29, 2014, 2:42 am
  2. First words that come to mind for me are: I want to stay at this hotel after watching this ad, it looks 100x better then any hotels ive ever stayed at and I would live here the rest of my life if it looks as nice as they are depicting it etc. For me this hotel is different because, it doesn’t look like a hotel it looks like a place you would live in, in your dreams. The rooms are huge with what looks like wall to floor windows, lots of space, fine dinning restaurant in the hotel, nice, clean, huge pool etc.

Posted by Reanna | October 1, 2014, 10:58 pm
  3. Reanna,
    A perfect answer. It it not really a hotel, but a place where anything is possible.

Now you are beginning to understand Positioning.😊
    Ian

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Ian W. McVitty | October 1, 2014, 11:06 pm
  4. From what I seen in the ad this hotel is promoting the great qualities it has over other hotels, high tech, cultural, and quick. This ad makes me feel as though the hotel would make me feel at home, comfortable.

Posted by Kimberley McCullough | October 3, 2014, 12:23 pm
  5. Kim,
    It does promote product qualities, but look again. The focus is on the guests and “it’s about where you are going”. Subjective positioning, right?
    Ian

Posted by Ian W. McVitty | October 5, 2014, 2:29 pm
  6. Words that come to my mind when watching the commercial are world, variety, elegance and professionalism. From the commercial it looks like Marriott would have to try really hard to disappoint you in any of your personal/business travels.

Posted by Gergana | October 7, 2015, 7:43 pm